Southwestern Bean Salad
My daughter gave me the recipe for this hearty, zippy salad. I've used it many times and received compliments. When it comes to bean salad, most people think of the sweet three-bean variety, so this is a nice surprise.
- Lila Jean Allen, Portland, Oregon
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4 cup thick and chunky salsa
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, celery, onion, tomato and corn.
- In a small bowl, combine the salsa, oil, lime juice, chili powder,
- salt and cumin. Pour dressing over the bean mixture; toss to coat.
- Cover salad and chill for at least 2 hours. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup (prepared without added salt) equals 190 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 301 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber,