Southwestern Bean Salad Recipe
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4 cup thick and chunky salsa
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the beans, celery, onion, tomato and corn. In a small bowl, combine the salsa, oil, lime juice, chili powder, salt and cumin. Pour dressing over the bean mixture; toss to coat. Cover salad and chill for at least 2 hours. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup (prepared without added salt) equals 190 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 301 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.