Southwestern Bean Patties Recipe
“I first made this recipe for a crowd of 11 people,“ recalls Debby Chiorino in Pt. Hueneme, CA. “And everyone—from little kids to teens and adults—loved the Southwest flavor…and the guacamole topping. A real hit!“
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 5 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) fat-free refried beans
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 1/2 cup guacamole
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and red pepper in 1-1/2 teaspoons oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the refried beans, bread crumbs, chilies, cilantro, cumin, pepper and onion mixture; mix well. Shape into six patties; coat in cornmeal.
- 3. In the same skillet, cook patties in batches in remaining oil over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- 4. Place patties on bun bottoms (save bun tops for another use). Top each with 4 teaspoons of guacamole and 4 teaspoons of salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 312 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 801mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fiber), 11g protein Diabetic Exchanges:3 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
Reviews for Southwestern Bean Patties
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC