- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke, optional
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 12 crackers)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 8 slices pepper jack cheese
- 8 sesame seed hamburger buns, split
- Lettuce leaves and tomato slices
- Toppings of your choice
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight patties.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Top with cheese. Grill 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted.
- Grill buns, cut side down, for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Serve burgers on buns with lettuce, tomato and toppings. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Southwestern Backyard Burgers
Sort By :
"My family thought these were amazing!! I made exactly as directed even with the lettuce , tomato and pepper jack cheese!"
"Definitely a good burger! I received many compliments on them for our 4th of July cookout!"
"Delish!!!i I had mine topped with salsa. Will definitely make again! A nice change for a burger. I also used 1 lb of ground beef, 1 lb of ground turkey & 2 1/2 links of sweet Italian turkey sausage. Yummy!!"
"I have made this recipe again and again since 2010! This is one that keeps me from buying deli burgers in the store. Easy to make, great taste and just the right touch of heat, not too much or my wife would not eat them.Excellent burgers, one of two burger recipes I keep going back to."
"We made this the night before the game. we made them "slider size". Put them in a tupperware container and grilled the next day before game. They were a huge hit."