Southwestern Backyard Burgers Recipe
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke, optional
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 12 crackers)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 8 slices pepper jack cheese
- 8 sesame seed hamburger buns, split
- Lettuce leaves and tomato slices
- Toppings of your choice
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight patties.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Top with cheese. Grill 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted.
- Grill buns, cut side down, for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Serve burgers on buns with lettuce, tomato and toppings. Yield: 8 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now
Reviews for Southwestern Backyard Burgers
Sort By :
Definitely a good burger! I received many compliments on them for our 4th of July cookout!
Delish!!!i I had mine topped with salsa. Will definitely make again! A nice change for a burger. I also used 1 lb of ground beef, 1 lb of ground turkey & 2 1/2 links of sweet Italian turkey sausage. Yummy!!
I have made this recipe again and again since 2010! This is one that keeps me from buying deli burgers in the store. Easy to make, great taste and just the right touch of heat, not too much or my wife would not eat them.
Excellent burgers, one of two burger recipes I keep going back to.
We made this the night before the game. we made them "slider size". Put them in a tupperware container and grilled the next day before game. They were a huge hit.
I made these for a tailgate. Brought the meat and had someone cook them there. Everyone claimed these were the best burgers they've had in their life! I'm making again for another event this week! :)