Southwestern Apple Slaw Recipe
Three varieties of apples add color and crunch to this special coleslaw. It has a nice balance of both sweet and spicy flavors.
- 1 each medium red, green and yellow apple, julienned
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons thawed apple juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large bowl, toss apples and lemon juice. Add cabbage and onion. Stir in beans and cheese.
- 2. For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, vinegar, apple juice concentrate, oil, jalapeno, honey, pepper flakes and cinnamon. Pour over cabbage mixture and gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 3. Just before serving, stir in avocado. Sprinkle with walnuts and parsley. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 cup: 204 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Southwestern Apple Slaw
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC