Three varieties of apples add color and crunch to this special coleslaw. It has a nice balance of both sweet and spicy flavors.
- 1 each medium red, green and yellow apple, julienned
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons thawed apple juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, toss apples and lemon juice. Add cabbage and onion. Stir in beans and cheese.
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, vinegar, apple juice concentrate, oil, jalapeno, honey, pepper flakes and cinnamon. Pour over cabbage mixture and gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, stir in avocado. Sprinkle with walnuts and parsley. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Southwestern Apple Slaw in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p232
Reviews for Southwestern Apple Slaw
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review