Southwestern Appetizer Triangles Recipe
A nifty cross between egg rolls and tacos, these triangles are fun to serve, especially at the holidays. My mom created the recipe years ago, much to the delight of my family. Since I began making them, my husband insists we have them on Sundays during football season as well as for holiday celebrations. —Sheila Pope, Preston, Idaho
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + cooling Cook: 40 min. YIELD:30 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced jalapeno peppers, drained
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) wonton wrappers
- Oil for deep frying
- Additional salsa
- 1. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the beef, onion, salt and pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the beans, cheese, salsa and jalapenos. Cook and stir over low heat until the cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; cool for 10 minutes.
- 2. Place a teaspoonful of beef mixture in the center of one wonton wrapper. Moisten edges with water. (Keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Fold wonton in half, forming a triangle; press edges to seal. Repeat.
- 3. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry wontons, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm with additional salsa. Yield: about 7-1/2 dozen.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC