Southwest Vegetarian Bake Recipe
Creamy and comforting, this hearty Southwestern specialty from Patricia Gale of Monticello, Illinois is perfect for chilly nights.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing YIELD:8 servings
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 35-40 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine beans, Mexicorn, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, cheddar cheese, pepper and rice. Transfer to a shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with onion and olives.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Sprinkle with Mexican cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup equals 284 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 879 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC