Southwest Vegetarian Bake Recipe
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 35-40 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine beans, Mexicorn, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, cheddar cheese, pepper and rice. Transfer to a shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with onion and olives.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Sprinkle with Mexican cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 284 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 879mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.
Reviews for Southwest Vegetarian Bake
"This recipe is absolutely wonderful! So extremely flavorful!"
"Great dish. After reading the comments, I added a few teaspoons of low sodium taco seasoning, and used 1 can of low sodium pinto beans and a can of low sodium cannellini beans. I used the diced tomatoes with celery, garlic and onions and added some minced garlic. This recipe is a keeper!"
"Delicious! I doubled the amount of rice and added a few tablespoons of taco seasoning and it was great!"
"This dish had great flavor. Unfortunately I undercooked the rice a little. I will make again of course with the rice cooked properly"
"My family never thought they would like a vegetarian dish. You wont even miss the meat in this one."
"This was fantastic! I'm vegetarian and my husband is an omnivore and even he said, "Yeah, please make this again!" I added a tbsp of chili powder and a lot more cheese than the recipe called for. I also used pinto beans (I *thought* I had a can of black beans but it proved elusive...), which worked out fine. This is a terrific dinner and will be added to our regular roster---thanks!!"
"Yummy! I This will be added to my meatless Monday recipes!"
"I have made this for several people and they all loved it. I do leave the olives out as I am not an olive fan."
"Tasty side dish too."
"At first I thought the olives would make it taste bad, but the dish came out really well! I will be making this again!"
"This was really good! I made it with all Mexican shredded cheese simply because the package had two cups worth and I figured why not? I think when I make it again I'll use two cans of black beans just for the added protein and because my three year old loves beans. I think I'll also brown the onions before adding them just because they were a little too crunchy for my taste. Otherwise this had a great flavor and was pretty filling!"
"This is delicious. I am a meat eater but you don't even miss it in this dish, though it is good with some chicken added in if you are so inclined. We have made this several times and even the kids love it."
"The taste of this is going to come from the salsa you use. Make sure you use your favorite and not just what's the cheapest. We like Newman's own farmer's garden. Cause of that this dish was amazeballs!"
"Yum!! This tastes like the SmartOnes or Lean Cuisine Santa Fe Style Rice and Beans. Excellent wrapped in a tortilla. Will definitely make again and again!"
"Added extra corn and beans, used sliced green onion and served with fresh tomatoes and chopped lettuce on tortillas...YUM!"
"I used a can of the Ro-Tel and this was soo good (I like it spicy but this didn't seem over the top or anything hot). Will definitely make again(-: Thanks for sharing!"
"I have made this recipe many, many times since it was first published in Light & Tasty. My family really enjoys it and I think you will, too."
"This was good, but if I make it again I will add more beans because it didn't keep me full for very long."
"Very good but I used Rotel where they asked for tomatoes and green chilies. That was almost too much spice for me. The next time I might just use salsa to replace the rotel."
"I have made this many times and it is always delicious and satisfying."