- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- In a large saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 35-40 minutes or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine beans, Mexicorn, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, cheddar cheese, pepper and rice. Transfer to a shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with onion and olives.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Sprinkle with Mexican cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Southwest Vegetarian Bake
Sort By :
"This is delicious. I am a meat eater but you don't even miss it in this dish, though it is good with some chicken added in if you are so inclined. We have made this several times and even the kids love it."
"The taste of this is going to come from the salsa you use. Make sure you use your favorite and not just what's the cheapest. We like Newman's own farmer's garden. Cause of that this dish was amazeballs!"
"Yum!! This tastes like the SmartOnes or Lean Cuisine Santa Fe Style Rice and Beans. Excellent wrapped in a tortilla. Will definitely make again and again!"
"Yay, family loved it! Absolutely will make again. Really good in tortillas or with tortilla chips, too."