- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- In a large saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 35-40 minutes or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine beans, Mexicorn, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, cheddar cheese, pepper and rice. Transfer to a shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with onion and olives.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Sprinkle with Mexican cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Southwest Vegetarian Bake
"This recipe is absolutely wonderful! So extremely flavorful!"
"Great dish. After reading the comments, I added a few teaspoons of low sodium taco seasoning, and used 1 can of low sodium pinto beans and a can of low sodium cannellini beans. I used the diced tomatoes with celery, garlic and onions and added some minced garlic. This recipe is a keeper!"
"Delicious! I doubled the amount of rice and added a few tablespoons of taco seasoning and it was great!"
"This dish had great flavor. Unfortunately I undercooked the rice a little. I will make again of course with the rice cooked properly"
"My family never thought they would like a vegetarian dish. You wont even miss the meat in this one."
"This was fantastic! I'm vegetarian and my husband is an omnivore and even he said, "Yeah, please make this again!" I added a tbsp of chili powder and a lot more cheese than the recipe called for. I also used pinto beans (I *thought* I had a can of black beans but it proved elusive...), which worked out fine. This is a terrific dinner and will be added to our regular roster---thanks!!"
"Yummy! I This will be added to my meatless Monday recipes!"
"I have made this for several people and they all loved it. I do leave the olives out as I am not an olive fan."
"Tasty side dish too."
"At first I thought the olives would make it taste bad, but the dish came out really well! I will be making this again!"