This veggie-packed casserole hits the spot on chilly nights. But it's great any time I have a taste for Mexican food with all the fixings, too. —Patricia Gale, Monticello, Illinois
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- In a large saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 35-40 minutes or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine beans, Mexicorn, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, cheddar cheese, pepper and rice. Transfer to a shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with onion and olives.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Sprinkle with Mexican cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Southwest Vegetarian Bake in Light & Tasty December/January 2006, p63
Reviews for Southwest Vegetarian Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review