- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- In a small saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender, 35-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place beans, corn, tomatoes, cheddar cheese and rice in a large bowl; stir in salsa, sour cream and pepper. Transfer to a shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with onion and olives.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Sprinkle with Mexican cheese; bake, uncovered, until heated through and cheese is melted, 5-10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Southwest Vegetarian Bake
"Pros: Easy to make, family favorite, not terribly unhealthy.Cons: Takes an hour to make and NEVER any leftovers.I usually double the recipe because my family of three cannot get enough of this casserole! :)"
"Easy and good."
"This was so easy and tasty! I added some taco seasoning. This is so versatile - you could add avocados on top, etc. Thanks for sharing!!"
"This recipe is absolutely wonderful! So extremely flavorful!"
"Great dish. After reading the comments, I added a few teaspoons of low sodium taco seasoning, and used 1 can of low sodium pinto beans and a can of low sodium cannellini beans. I used the diced tomatoes with celery, garlic and onions and added some minced garlic. This recipe is a keeper!"
"Delicious! I doubled the amount of rice and added a few tablespoons of taco seasoning and it was great!"
"This dish had great flavor. Unfortunately I undercooked the rice a little. I will make again of course with the rice cooked properly"
"My family never thought they would like a vegetarian dish. You wont even miss the meat in this one."
"This was fantastic! I'm vegetarian and my husband is an omnivore and even he said, "Yeah, please make this again!" I added a tbsp of chili powder and a lot more cheese than the recipe called for. I also used pinto beans (I *thought* I had a can of black beans but it proved elusive...), which worked out fine. This is a terrific dinner and will be added to our regular roster---thanks!!"
"Yummy! I This will be added to my meatless Monday recipes!"