Southwest Turkey Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds turkey breast tenderloins, cubed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) turkey chili with beans, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a nonstick skillet, brown turkey in oil; transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the chili, tomatoes, peppers, onion, salsa, garlic, chili powder, salt and cumin.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until turkey is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Garnish with cilantro if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Southwest Turkey Stew(4)
Sort By :
I've made this a number of times. I like to use leftover dark turkey meat and I add a can of corn (or a cup of frozen corn). I use just "chili beans" instead of turkey with beans. My whole family - including my 7 year old daughter - LOVES it.
This was a great recipe, but I made some changes. First 5-6 hours was unrealistic for me so I precooked the meat and vegetables then cooked it with the rest of the ingredients in a pot for about 15 minutes. Plus, I used 98% fat free ground turkey instead of tenderloin.
I was put off by the ingredients at all! Loved the recipe, I added some grilled onions and reduced the turkey to 3/4 a lb and added a can of black beans.
Although there are a lot of ingredients, this recipes is worth the effort. Great flavor and texture with all the veggies, etc going on. I used cooked chicken tenders that I had in the freezer for the turkey and that simplified the recipe a little.
More Recipe Collections
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Stew Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Stew Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Stews >
- Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Stew Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Stews >