Southwest Turkey Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds turkey breast tenderloins, cubed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) turkey chili with beans, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro, optional
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, brown turkey in oil; transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the chili, tomatoes, peppers, onion, salsa, garlic, chili powder, salt and cumin.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until turkey is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Garnish with cilantro if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/4 cup: 238 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 837mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 33g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 0 starch, 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Southwest Turkey Stew
"I reduced the turkey to 3/4 lb., used chili beans instead of turkey chili and cooked it on top the stove instead of a slow cooker. It could use more veggies. Celery, corn, zucchini. Was very tasty and we have leftovers for another meal."
"I've made this a number of times. I like to use leftover dark turkey meat and I add a can of corn (or a cup of frozen corn). I use just "chili beans" instead of turkey with beans. My whole family - including my 7 year old daughter - LOVES it."
"This was a great recipe, but I made some changes. First 5-6 hours was unrealistic for me so I precooked the meat and vegetables then cooked it with the rest of the ingredients in a pot for about 15 minutes. Plus, I used 98% fat free ground turkey instead of tenderloin."
"I was put off by the ingredients at all! Loved the recipe, I added some grilled onions and reduced the turkey to 3/4 a lb and added a can of black beans."
"Although there are a lot of ingredients, this recipes is worth the effort. Great flavor and texture with all the veggies, etc going on. I used cooked chicken tenders that I had in the freezer for the turkey and that simplified the recipe a little."