Southwest Turkey Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- Sour cream and minced fresh cilantro
- In a Dutch oven, cook turkey in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the beans, broth, corn, salsa, chilies and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Serve with sour cream and cilantro. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Southwest Turkey Soup(8)
Sort By :
Wicked easy, Wicked delicious, I used cubed chicken instead of ground turkey. Pairs nice with a couple slices of a cheese quesadilla with clinatro on wheat tortillas.
Love this soup, the only change I made was that I used black beans instead of kidney beans( personnal preference)
All you've done is note how you'd change a southwestern flavored soup into basic, boring vegetable soup. Why write a review for a recipe you will not eat? Also, green chiles are available in a mild version with no heat what so ever and chili powder adds smokiness, not heat. It is very irritating to read reviews for a recipe from someone who has not or will not make said recipe.
It sounds good, basically, but I do not like spicy foods, so would eliminate the chilies and the chili powder. I would add a lot more veggies: carrots and green beans at least. Haven't actually tried it, not into salsa, but would add home-frozen tomatoes instead. Overall, sounds good, especially with a hot loaf of home-made french or italian bread.
My husband loves it! Said to make it again. I used reduced sodium kidney beans & used homemade chicken broth to reduce the sodium.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Turkey Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Soup >
- Mexican Soups >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Soup Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >