Southwest Turkey Casserole Recipe
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed cooked turkey
- 2/3 cup canned diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and red pepper in butter and oil until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, cumin and pepper until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted.
- 2. Drain macaroni; add to cheese mixture. Stir in the turkey, tomatoes, corn and peas. Transfer to a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
2 cups (prepared with reduced-fat butter and reduced-fat cheese) equals 611 calories, 28 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 131 mg cholesterol, 1,489 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 52 g protein.