Southwest Surprise Bread Recipe
Fat-free refried beans are the surprise ingredient in these soft, high-rising loaves with just a hint of heat. “Beans increase the protein content of the bread and are so good! We serve this instead of garlic bread with Mexican dishes.” Sandra Lee Herr - Stevens, Pennsylvania
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 can (16 ounces) spicy fat-free refried beans
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the beans, sugar, butter, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice equals 104 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 219 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC