Southwest-Style Cod Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cod fillets (6 ounces each)
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, olives, cumin, pepper sauce and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 2. Add fillets. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10-14 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork, turning once. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving: 226 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 734mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Southwest-Style Cod
"I think she meant to write "green peppers"..."
"This was delicious. I used red bell pepper instead of green and added about half a TBS of hot sauce and a little salt. Both my husband and Iloved it!!"
"One reviewer mentioned green beans. Have I missed something? Didn't see any in the recipe."
"I was pleasantly surprised! I had the ingrediants on hand so decided to try it. I had a lot of the sauce left over when done eating, so think I'll use it in another dish. We liked it very much"
"this dish was absolutely wonderful. we don't like green peppers so I used banana sweet peppers. we both loved it. thanks"
"Loved it! quick, easy, delicious!"
"Would make this again! Used zuchini and squash in place of green beans. Also used black olives with jalapeno. Family liked the extra kick. mild kick but still made them say hmmm!"
"The flavor is great and even my toddler ate it! I wish the fish stayed in one piece...it fell completely apart. That's the only reason it didn't get five stars!"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.