Southwest-Style Cod Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cod fillets (6 ounces each)
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, olives, cumin, pepper sauce and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 2. Add fillets. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10-14 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork, turning once. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving equals 226 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 734 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.