Southwest Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-3/4 cups chopped seeded tomatoes, divided
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 4 medium green peppers
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 grape tomatoes, halved, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the beef, red pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 2. Stir in 1/2 cup tomatoes, chili powder, cornstarch, cumin, oregano and cayenne. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, cut green peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place in an ungreased shallow 3 qt. microwave-safe dish; add remaining water. Cover and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or until crisp tender. Drain; fill each pepper half with 1/3 cup beef mixture.
- 4. Top with the remaining tomatoes. Garnish with sour cream, cheese, green onions and grape tomatoes if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
2 stuffed pepper halves equals 278 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 138 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.