- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-3/4 cups chopped seeded tomatoes, divided
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 4 medium green peppers
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 grape tomatoes, halved, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, red pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in 1/2 cup tomatoes, chili powder, cornstarch, cumin, oregano and cayenne. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut green peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place in an ungreased shallow 3 qt. microwave-safe dish; add remaining water. Cover and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or until crisp tender. Drain; fill each pepper half with 1/3 cup beef mixture.
- Top with the remaining tomatoes. Garnish with sour cream, cheese, green onions and grape tomatoes if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Southwest Stuffed Peppers
"This was very tasty and easy to make! I would do all your dicing first though. Next time I will try adding black beans or refried black beans. Definitely worth trying this recipe!"
"What a nice change for stuffed peppers...I think we actually preferred stuffed peppers this way than the traditional way...I didn't have fresh tomatoes on hand so I used canned diced tomatoes & that worked well...I will definitely be making this again (especially since it was a hit with my husband too!)"
"Based on Liz's review, I substituted a can of Mild RoTel diced tomatoes & green chilies for the fresh tomatoes. It really "kicked it up a notch"! I also added some leftover Spanish rice; instead of the garnishes recommended, I sprinkled grated Mexican cheese combo on top and microwaved for approx. 30 sec. to melt. It was very yummy and I will make it again ~ as modified ~."
"These werent too bad, needs something...cant put my finger on it. We did enjoy them, however Im not sure if I would make them again."