Southwest Stuffed Chicken Recipe
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 2-inch x 1/2-inch sticks
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1. Flatten chicken to /18-in. thickness. Place a cheese stick down the middle of each; top with chilies. Roll up and tuck in ends. Secure with a toothpick.
- 2. In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, chili powder, salt and cumin. Place flour in another shallow bowl. Place butter in a third shallow bowl. Coat chicken with flour, then dip in butter and roll in crumb mixture.
- 3. Place roll-ups, seam side down, in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Discard toothpicks. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 482 calories, 29g fat (16g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 794mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 33g protein.
Reviews for Southwest Stuffed Chicken
"I have been making this for a couple of years now and always a crowd pleaser. My husband will request this at least Twice a month. I do not use the flour though. I also like to add extra chilis in the casserole dish with chunks of cheese to be melted."
"This turned out really delicious. The coating was the star. The whole time I was pounding the chicken I was saying under my breath I hope my family doesn't like it. My chicken breast were very plump, I even used my cast iron pan to flatten them! Well, my family loved them so in the recipe box it goes..."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.