Bold seasonings give meat and potatoes a Southwest twist. Feel free to adjust the heat factor by using more or less chili powder. —Kenny Fisher, Lancaster, Ohio
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 beef top round steak (1 inch thick and about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Pierce potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high 4-5 minutes or until almost tender, turning once. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, mix vinegar and Worcestershire sauce; brush over steak. Mix brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and cayenne until blended; sprinkle over both sides of steak.
- Cut potatoes into 1/2-in. slices. Sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt. Grill potatoes and steak, covered, over medium heat 12-17 minutes or until potatoes are tender and a thermometer inserted in beef reads 145° for medium-rare, turning occasionally.
- Cut steak into thin slices. Serve with potatoes. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Southwest Steak & Potatoes in Taste of Home June/July 2014
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Southwest Steak & Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review