Lime juice tenderizes the steak while garlic, chili powder and red pepper flakes kick things up. “My husband and I came up with this together as something lighter to make on the grill.” Caroline Shively - Alexandria, Virginia
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 beef flank steaks (1 pound each)
- In a small bowl, mix the first seven ingredients; spread over both sides of steaks. Place in a large resealable plastic bag; refrigerate 6 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Grill steaks, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 6-9 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Let steaks stand 5 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Southwest Steak in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009, p54
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Southwest Steak
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review