Southwest Spinach Strata Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups cubed day-old white bread
- 2-1/2 cups cubed day-old whole wheat bread
- 2/3 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup Southwestern-style egg substitute
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 6 tablespoons salsa
- 1. Place half of the bread cubes in an 8-in.-square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with beans, spinach and half of the cheese. Top with remaining bread cubes.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk the egg substitute, milk, cilantro and salt. Pour over top. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with sour cream and salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece with 1 tablespoon sour cream and 1 tablespoon salsa equals 264 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 736 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.