Southwest Smothered Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno slices
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1. Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. Sprinkle both sides with cumin and cayenne. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
- 2. Meanwhile, combine corn and salsa; spoon over chicken. Top with cheese and jalapenos. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Top each chicken breast with a dollop of sour cream. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving: 413 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 134mg cholesterol, 703mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 43g protein
Reviews for Southwest Smothered Chicken
"This was a hit a my house!"
"Fantastic! This recipe was a lifesaver tonight. Quick and easy to make, and delicious, too! My only change was to add black beans."
"This recipe was delicious!! I halved this recipe since it is just the two of us at home now. It was so good I wished I had made the whole recipe for leftovers. My husband absolutely loved it!! I used less corn and more cheese, we are cheese lovers. This recipe is a keeper."
"This is an often requested recipe in our household of six. I pare it with crispy green beans and a light rice that I cook in chicken broth seasoned with a bit of cumin, garlic and onion powder and diced tomatoes.I have also used this "topping" on seasoned baked white fish instead of chicken"
"Easy, fast and delicious! I was concerned at on reading the recipe that it might be a little too spicy/hot, but in fact the seasoning was just right."
"This was really good and really easy! Loved it!"
"Tried this recipe about a year ago for my three picky sons. It is an often requested meal! A definate family favorite!! I also sprinkle with a bit of Cajiun seasoning."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.