Southwest Skillet Recipe
I was born and raised on a farm and still live on one with my husband and kids. We build up hearty appetites, and this Mexican-style dish always pleases.—Becky Paxton, Afton, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup uncooked Minute® White Rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup corn chips
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, rice, water, green pepper and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with corn chips and cheese. Cover and let stand for 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Make a double batch of Southwest Skillet and freeze half. Thaw, reheat and sprinkle with corn chips and cheese just before serving.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC