I was born and raised on a farm and still live on one with my husband and kids. We build up hearty appetites, and this Mexican-style dish always pleases.—Becky Paxton, Afton, Iowa
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup corn chips
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, rice, water, green pepper and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with corn chips and cheese. Cover and let stand for 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Southwest Skillet in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p219
Reviews for Southwest Skillet
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review