Southwest Shepherd's Pie Recipe
This a wonderfully portioned dish which can be served alone or with a side salad and cornbread. It has a delicious flavor with spice!—Veronica Greco, Tampa, Florida
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup medium salsa
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, salsa, green chilies and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; heat through. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Transfer to a greased 4-cup baking dish; sprinkle with corn.
- 3. Drain potatoes and place in a large bowl. Mash potatoes with butter and remaining salt and pepper. Spread over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving equals 694 calories, 36 g fat (23 g saturated fat), 146 mg cholesterol, 1,365 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 40 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC