Southwest Scallop Salad Recipe
With lots of vegetables and a delicate seafood flavor, this colorful salad from Marjorie Hennig of Seymour, Indiana is ideal for a summer luncheon. A hint of lime draws out the garden goodness in the tomatoes and avocados. The contrasting textures make each bite enjoyable.
- 1 pound bay scallops
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup julienned roasted sweet red pepper
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- In a large saucepan, bring 3 in. of water to a boil. Reduce heat. Add scallops; simmer, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until scallops are firm and opaque. Drain immediately and rinse with cold water. Drain again.
- In a large bowl, whisk the lime juice, oil, sugar, lime peel, salt and pepper. Stir in the green onion, cilantro and parsley. Dip avocado slices in lime juice mixture. Place on a plate; cover and refrigerate. Stir red peppers and scallops into lime juice mixture; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
- Just before serving, stir in chopped tomato. Serve on lettuce leaf-lined individual plates with tomato and avocado slices. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Southwest Scallop Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2004, p11
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Southwest Scallop Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Salad Recipes >
- Diabetic Salad Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Salad Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Salads >
- Main Dish Salad Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >