Southwest Salad Recipe
- SALAD DRESSING:
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 heads Boston lettuce, torn
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained or fresh orange sections
- 1. In a small bowl, whisk salad dressing ingredients; set aside. Arrange the lettuce, cucumber, avocado, onion and oranges on individual plates. Drizzle with dressing just before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 299 calories, 24g fat (3g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 144mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Southwest Salad
"This is a perfect hot weather salad!"
"Easy and delicious. Uses items we always have on hand. The dressing is not overly sweet. We also add sliced roasted almonds."
"Absolutely wonderful!! I don't normally care for vinegar & oil based dressings, but this was so refreshing & light because of the orange & lemon."
"This will be a great summer side dish :)"
"I've been making a similar salad for years. my salad consists of torn spinach, butter lettuce and romaine, red onions rings, mandarin oranges, and avacados slices. I lay it ona large flat salad bowl. the dressing I make: I cup orange juice with lots of pulp, 1/4 cup of oil, 1 tsp of garlic salt. 2 tbls of red chili powder (like grandma's spicy) 1//2 tsp cumin powder and 2 tbls of sugar, mix in the blender and pour over the salad"