Southwest Rice Recipe
This easy side makes the perfect accompaniment to any Southwestern meal. The bright colors and refreshing flavors guarantee second helpings. —Willie DeWaard, Coralville, Iowa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet orange pepper
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup uncooked Minute® White Rice
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup equals 196 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 364 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC