This easy side makes the perfect accompaniment to any Southwestern meal. The bright colors and refreshing flavors guarantee second helpings. —Willie DeWaard, Coralville, Iowa
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet orange pepper
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients; bring to a
- boil. Stir in rice. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5
- minutes. Fluff with a fork. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 196 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 364 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.