Southwest Rib Roast with Salsa
After purchasing a steer at a local 4-H fair, we were looking for tasty new beef recipes. A blend of seasonings makes this tender cut of meat even more succulent.—Darlene King, Steven, Saskatchewan
12-16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bone-in beef rib roast (8 to 10 pounds)
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, salt, cumin and cayenne.
- Set aside 2 teaspoons for salsa. Rub the remaining seasoning mixture
- over roast. Place roast fat side up in a shallow roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat
- reaches desired doneness ((for medium-rare, a meat thermometer
- should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Transfer to serving platter. Let stand for 15 minutes before
- For salsa, combine the beans, tomatoes, onion, cilantro and reserved
- seasoning mixture in a bowl. Serve with roast. Yield: 12-16
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a