Southwest Pulled Pork Recipe
I made this on a whim one Sunday morning when friends called and said they planned to drop by in the afternoon. It makes a lot, and I was able to serve our friends and the neighbors a casual supper. The seasonings and green chilies give the meat a spicy kick and taste fantastic with cool sour cream and fresh salsa. —Deb LeBlanc, Phillipsburg, Kansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours YIELD:14 servings
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 14 kaiser rolls, split
- 1. Cut roast in half. In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne; rub over meat. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with onion and chilies. Pour broth around meat.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until tender. Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. Serve on rolls, 1/2 cup on each. Yield: 14 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC