Southwest Pulled Pork Recipe
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 14 kaiser rolls, split
- 1. Cut roast in half. In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne; rub over meat. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with onion and chilies. Pour broth around meat.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until tender. Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. Serve on rolls, 1/2 cup on each. Yield: 14 servings.
1 sandwich: 398 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 729mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Reviews for Southwest Pulled Pork
"This was excellent, we used it for a topping for a baked potato bar. Used left overs for tacos. It is very versatile, I will make it many times and it is so easy to make!"
"Overall, this had a good flavor, but we didn't like it at all on a bun. It tasted great though as a pulled pork taco! The ingredients seemed to go better in a taco rather than on a bun."
"I added sweet baby rays honey barbeque sauce to this the last 30 minutes it was cooking. Probably one of the best pulled pork sandwiches i've had."
"I will make this again. The flavor was excellent!"
"I served this with cheese toast and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it. I really like the rub and I'm sure I will make this recipe often."
"Good but too peppery; would reduce cayenne & black pepper both by at least 1/2. I also thought it could use some garlic and more salt."
"These were awesome. Even my super picky son loved them, and he doesn't like much."
"Yum yum yum!!! Served up to a house load of guests and they raved!"
"This is the first pulled pork recipe I have ever tried. My husband doesn't care for BBQ sauce and this was delicious and so easy to make. I was worried it would be a bit spicy as in hot spicy,but it wasn't. It was spicy as in flavor. I may add more Jalapenos next time just to give it a kick,but I highly recommend this recipe :)"
"Very simple and oh so delicious! My go to meal if I need to feed between 8-12 people. Any leftovers are great added to nachos."
"Quick and easy, think I'll add a little more 'heat' next time. Was moist and very tender. I'll keep this recipe - Thanks!!"
"Very easy and quick to put together. My 4 and 2 year old actually ate up their portion and asked for more!"
"This was wonderful. I've tried other variations on this theme and this was by far the best. It made good sandwiches and tacos, and would be good as a topping for baked potatoes as well."
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.