Southwest Pulled Pork
I made this on a whim one Sunday morning when friends called and said they planned to drop by in the afternoon. It makes a lot, and I was able to serve our friends and the neighbors a casual supper. The seasonings and green chilies give the meat a spicy kick and taste fantastic with cool sour cream and fresh salsa. —Deb LeBlanc, Phillipsburg, Kansas
14 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 14 kaiser rolls, split
- Cut roast in half. In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, brown
- sugar, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne; rub over meat. Transfer to a
- 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with onion and chilies. Pour broth around
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until tender. Remove roast;
- cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork with two
- forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. Serve on rolls.
- Yield: 14 servings.
Wine: Blush Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.