Southwest Mango Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper jelly
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cubed peeled mango
- 2/3 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 2/3 cup julienned peeled jicama
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 3 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1/3 cup pepitas or salted pumpkin seeds
- 1. For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, beans, mango, red pepper, jicama and onions. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
- 2. Just before serving, toss chicken mixture with spinach and salad greens. Sprinkle with pepitas. Yield: 6 servings.
1-2/3 cups equals 314 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 266 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.