When the gray days of winter set in, we begin dreaming of dishes that evoke the sunny side of life. Thanks to bold Southwestern flavors, we just might make it to spring. —Simple & Delicious Test Kitchen
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian salad dressing mix
- 5 whole pita breads, warmed
- 1 cup fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook beef and pepper in a large skillet over medium heat until meat
- is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, water, chili
- powder, cumin and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Combine mayonnaise and salad dressing mix in a small bowl. Spoon beef
- mixture over pita breads; top with the arugula, cheese and
- mayonnaise mixture. Yield: 5 servings.