Southwest Frito Pie Recipe
I got a real culture shock when we moved to New Mexico several years ago, but we grew to love the food. Now, back in South Carolina, we still crave New Mexican dishes, and this is one of my go-to favorites.—Janet Scoggins, North Augusta, South Carolina
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained, optional
- 4-1/2 cups Fritos corn chips
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- Sour cream and minced fresh cilantro, optional
- 1. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in chili powder, flour, salt and garlic powder until blended. Gradually stir in water and, if desired, beans.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 12-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 3. To serve, divide chips among six serving bowls. Top with beef mixture, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and onion. If desired, top with sour cream and cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (calculated without beans and sour cream) equals 615 calories, 38 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 143 mg cholesterol, 915 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 43 g protein.
Reviews for Southwest Frito Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC