Southwest Frito Pie Recipe
I got a real culture shock when we moved to New Mexico several years ago, but we grew to love the food. Now, back in South Carolina, we still crave New Mexican dishes, and this is one of my go-to favorites.—Janet Scoggins, North Augusta, South Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained, optional
- 4-1/2 cups Fritos corn chips
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- Sour cream and minced fresh cilantro, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the chili powder, flour, salt and garlic powder until blended; gradually stir in water.
- 2. Add the beans, if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 3. To serve, divide chips among six serving bowls. Top with beef mixture, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and onion; garnish with sour cream and cilantro, if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (calculated without beans and sour cream) equals 615 calories, 38 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 143 mg cholesterol, 915 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 43 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC