- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained, optional
- 4-1/2 cups Fritos corn chips
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- Sour cream and minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in chili powder, flour, salt and garlic powder until blended. Gradually stir in water and, if desired, beans.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 12-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, divide chips among six serving bowls. Top with beef mixture, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and onion. If desired, top with sour cream and cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Southwest Frito Pie
"My family has loved this recipe for years and I always serve it to guests and they always rave about it and ask for the recipe! Good job!"
"I am a New Mexico native.....this recipe is incredible! A nice taste of home."
"I read all the reviews about its blandness and, though I hate when people tweak a recipe and talk endlessly about it in their review, I thought it was warranted. I made sure to cook the onion in with the ground beef, as well as two crushed garlic cloves. I replaced one cup of the water with beef broth and added a bit of taco seasoning to the meat mixture before I cooked off the liquid. (Decreased the chili powder, so it was a trade-off.) That was the ticket--not bland in the slightest. :)"
"I made this tonight. Very good! I made mine with the pinto beans (I had a 30 oz can that I used). I let the recipe simmer most of the liquid off of it before serving. It was a make again for us!"
"My family loves mexican food..but I was alittle disappointed in the taste of this recipe. I added more chili and garlic powder but still it was missing something."