Southwest Frito Pie Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained, optional
- 4-1/2 cups corn chips
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- Sour cream and minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the chili powder, flour, salt and garlic powder until blended; gradually stir in water.
- Add the beans, if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, divide chips among six serving bowls. Top with beef mixture, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and onion; garnish with sour cream and cilantro, if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Southwest Frito Pie(11)
Sort By :
I read all the reviews about its blandness and, though I hate when people tweak a recipe and talk endlessly about it in their review, I thought it was warranted. I made sure to cook the onion in with the ground beef, as well as two crushed garlic cloves. I replaced one cup of the water with beef broth and added a bit of taco seasoning to the meat mixture before I cooked off the liquid. (Decreased the chili powder, so it was a trade-off.) That was the ticket--not bland in the slightest. :)
I made this tonight. Very good! I made mine with the pinto beans (I had a 30 oz can that I used). I let the recipe simmer most of the liquid off of it before serving. It was a make again for us!
My family loves mexican food..but I was alittle disappointed in the taste of this recipe. I added more chili and garlic powder but still it was missing something.
I really wanted to like this recipe. The chili powder was overpowering & bland. Perhaps it could be made better with a sauce. It was quite dry on top of being blah.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Kids Lunch Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >