Southwest Frito Pie Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained, optional
- 4-1/2 cups corn chips
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- Sour cream and minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the chili powder, flour, salt and garlic powder until blended; gradually stir in water.
- Add the beans, if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, divide chips among six serving bowls. Top with beef mixture, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and onion; garnish with sour cream and cilantro, if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Southwest Frito Pie(10)
Sort By :
I made this tonight. Very good! I made mine with the pinto beans (I had a 30 oz can that I used). I let the recipe simmer most of the liquid off of it before serving. It was a make again for us!
My family loves mexican food..but I was alittle disappointed in the taste of this recipe. I added more chili and garlic powder but still it was missing something.
I really wanted to like this recipe. The chili powder was overpowering & bland. Perhaps it could be made better with a sauce. It was quite dry on top of being blah.
I just made this for the first time and thought it was fabulous. Very easy and very tasty. I am not a big fan of chili powder so I used much less than called for. I also used southwest-style garlic pinto beans, which had much more flavor than plain pinto beans and significantly added to the taste of the dish. I also recommend using fresh pico de gallo instead of plain tomatoes and onions.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Kids Lunch Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >