Southwest Flank Steak Recipe
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 4-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; rub over steak.
- 2. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs,
- 3. lightly coat the grill rack. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- 4. Let stand for 5 minutes. To serve, thinly slice across the grain. Yield: 6 servings.
3 ounces cooked beef equals 219 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 127 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.