- 30 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) enchilada sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cut tortillas into eighths; set aside. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions and jalapeno over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the black-eyed peas, soups, tomatoes, enchilada sauce and pepper sauce; heat through.
- Spread 2-2/3 cups meat mixture into each of two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Top each with 2 cups cut tortillas. Repeat layers. Top with remaining meat mixture; sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 55 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 casseroles (8 servings each).
Reviews for Southwest Enchilada Bake
Sort By :
"I've made this casserole several times, but like it best with black beans. Also, your choice of enchilada sauce will drastically alter the flavor of the finished product. We really like the line of Rick Bayless sauces, sold in pouches in the Mexican/Asian aisle at the grocery store. It's not the cheapest but it is very flavorful, and worth the money. (No connection to Rick Bayless - I just like his red enchilada sauce.) A green salad along side is nice for some texture, and a side of sour cream helps if you got carried away with the hot pepper sauce. Five star comfort food!"
"I make this all the time it freezes well and my family loves it !!!"
"I had Made this before and liked it but mmy family did not say to much but then my daughter suggested i fix it again I know she really love it because she is very picky !"
"Yet another awesome recipe that my husband and I put together. A true keeper just as!!!!!"