- 30 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) enchilada sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cut tortillas into eighths; set aside. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions and jalapeno over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the black-eyed peas, soups, tomatoes, enchilada sauce and pepper sauce; heat through.
- Spread 2-2/3 cups meat mixture into each of two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Top each with 2 cups cut tortillas. Repeat layers. Top with remaining meat mixture; sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 55 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 casseroles (8 servings each).
Reviews for Southwest Enchilada Bake
Sort By :
I make this all the time it freezes well and my family loves it !!!
I had Made this before and liked it but mmy family did not say to much but then my daughter suggested i fix it again I know she really love it because she is very picky !
I made this for the freezer meal swap I do with 3 other friends. We have smaller families so I split each 13 x 9" casserole into two 8 x 8 dishes. I left out the jalapeno since my kids won't eat really spicy stuff. It was good! Everyone in my family ate it. My biggest problem was since I was dividing the recipe into four portions, I didn't put enough tortilla pieces on each one and had leftover tortillas at the end. I will remember that for next time!
Yet another awesome recipe that my husband and I put together. A true keeper just as!!!!!