Southwest Corn Bread Bake Recipe
Warm up chilly nights with this tasty casserole shared by Christine Geyer of Coralville, Iowa. It’s loaded with hearty beans and corn, then topped with a from-scratch corn bread. "I usually double the ingredients and bake it in a 9x13 baking dish for a bit longer,” she notes.
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the chili beans, corn, onion and cumin. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 2. In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Combine milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 3. Drop by tablespoonfuls over chili mixture; carefully spread over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 315 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 775 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC