Southwest Chili con Carne
You'll only need one skillet and 20 minutes to whip up this hearty, slightly spicy Chili Con Carne, courtesy of Marline Emmal of Vancouver, British Columbia.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 3/4 cup kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 to 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- Thinly sliced green onion, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened,
- stirring occasionally. Garnish with green onion if desired. Yield: 2
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 299 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 346 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.