Southwest Chili con Carne Recipe
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 3/4 cup kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 to 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- Thinly sliced green onion, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Garnish with green onion if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1 cup: 299 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 346mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Reviews for Southwest Chili con Carne
"Will be making this again!!"
"Easy, quick and delicious!"
"I had a crock pot chili recipe that produced unsatisfying results for me. This recipe was similar, so I adjusted the first one with this recipe and it turned out wonderful. I used shredded cheddar cheese as my garnish though. Will definitely make again!"
"This was excellent! Just what I was looking for!"
"I used V -8 in place of the tomato juice, increased the chili powder to 2 teaspoons and the cumin to 1 teaspoon. I omitted the pepper sauce, and served it topped with grated cheese. Excellent."
"This recipe was really good and easy to prepare. My one criticism is that in the ingredients, it doesn't specify CANNED kidney beans. I suppose if you thought about it, you probably wouldn't use dried beans when the cook time is 20 minutes, but that's what my husband and I did the first time we prepared it. Notto worry though, it was fine after it simmered for another hour or so. :-)"