- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) mild salsa
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- Sweet red and yellow pepper strips, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and sliced green onions, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, layer three-fourths each of the corn and beans and half of the salsa. Arrange chicken over salsa; top with remaining corn, beans and salsa. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Shred chicken with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Top with the peppers, sour cream, cheese and onions if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Southwest Chicken
"This is a great recipe. I used boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts and it was very good that way as well. It could use some salt and pepper, or add more salsa later in the cooking time. Next time I might add a can of green chilies."
"Loved this and so simple. I put my chicken in frozen. This was perfect for today since we had baseball all day. I put it on at 11, came home at 2:45, and shredded the chicken, then left for game two. By the time we got home at 6:30, it was done. I made mine on a low carb tortilla, the hubby as a rice bowl. We are using the leftovers for nachos and salads the rest of the week!"
"This was delicious and very easy to make!"
"Delicious and simple to make...made the recipe as instructed. Next time i will probably use pepper jack cheese and cilantro..and top it off with Avocado! Yum Yum.."
"Very simple recipe with good flavor. Nice economical weeknight dinner. I had all the ingredients on hand except black beans. I used kidney beans instead, which worked fine."