Southwest Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- Tortilla chips, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Add chicken. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into soup.
- 2. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Top servings with cheese and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 183 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 752mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein Diabetic Exchanges:3 lean meat, 2 vegetable
Reviews for Southwest Chicken Tortilla Soup
"Great recipe! I added black beans and red chile powder to kick up the heat."
"Tasty soup I made in a pinch when I realized I was out of an ingredient for another soup. The kids and hubby loved this one! Followed recipe as written with only the addition of some green Chiles since I did not have Mexican diced tomatoes."
"Delicious! Very flavorful! I used diced tomatoes with green chilis. I also added black beans and corn. The sweet corn was a nice contrast to the spicy heat! Very quick and easy."
"Added 1 can of black beans, a chopped yellow pepper and 1 cup of frozen corn. Topped with shredded cheese, avocado and a little sour cream. Very good!"
"Squeeze a lime on top and taste the flavor come alive! I added Corn and Black beans as well.. Yummy Yummy! Ill make it over and over!"
"this is the best recipe for chicken soup i have made this ten times"
"Love this recipe."
"I've made a different Chicken Tortilla Soup for about 7 years now but decided to try this one... and I think this is the new winner. My husband loved it too... said it was "full of flavor!" My 3 year old daughter didn't care for it because it was a little spicy but I'm sure she'll learn to like it!"
"I love when things work out like they should!! I accidentally used too much chicken broth, but it all worked out fine! I also added a can of corn and I fried some cut up corn tortillas for topping and added some cheese and avocado slices. It was wonderful, my family loved it."
"This soup is very good. I threw in a can of rinsed and drained black beans and 2 cups of frozen sweet corn from my garden. I also added an envelope of taco seasoning and an envelope of ranch dressing mix to jazz up the seasoning. Yummo!!!!!"
"This soup is great poured into a bowl filled with tortilla chips, diced avocado and shredded cheese!"