- 3/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 2/3 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup refried beans
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Sour cream, optional
- In bread machine pan, place the first eight ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a large skillet, saute onion and pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in the chicken, salsa, cheese, beans and seasonings; heat through. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll dough to a 14-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread filling over half of dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Fold dough over filling; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Combine egg white and water; brush over dough. Cut slits in top.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Southwest Chicken Stromboli
Sort By :
"Great quick lunch. I love letting the bread machine do all the work."
"Made filling as per recipe but did use the Pillsbury pizza crust instead of making it from scratch to save some time. I'll definitely make again and hopefully be able to make the entire recipe as written and will then probably give it a full 5 stars!! Made it for a football party and went over very well with all."
"These were very good! I thought it was a lot of work for a "simple" meal, but the end result was still very good!"
"Made this recipe as written except that I used green pepper instead of yellow since that is what I had. My family loved it. We decided if time was a factor the filling could easily be used for tacos or burritos. Will definitely make this again."
"Great recipe, healthy & yummy! Since didn't have much time, I used Pillsbury pizza dough, still turned out great. This is a keeper, for the time that I run out of ideas of what to make.Thank you so much for sharing your recipe."