- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 medium lime, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 small tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute red pepper and onion until tender. Add the garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, beans, corn, lime, jalapeno, black pepper and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato, green onions and chicken; heat through. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Southwest Chicken Soup(5)
Sort By :
Delicious - I did not use lime (only bc I didn't have any) but the rest was perfect! Can't wait to have again!
After making the soup and tasting it, I agreed with one reviewer who said it "needed something". I added a teaspoon of taco seasoning and this really added much needed flavor. I served it with a dolop of FF sour cream, a tsp of salsa and a few tortilla chips. This is an easy recipe for sure, just needed more flavor.
Make sure to cut all of the white pith off the lime, or it will be bitter. I left out the cayenne, but added a bit of seasoned salt, chili powder, and cumin. Very tasty.
The lime absolutely ruins this otherwise perfect soup. The other thing this needs is fresh chopped cilantro. I also added cooked limas, about 3/4 of a cup. I would make this again just without the lime. way way too bitter. And I cook all the time so I know this is what ruined it.
It was pretty good...needs salt and something else in my opinion, but I'm not sure what that "something else" is...
More Recipe Collections
- Bean Soup Recipes >
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Soup >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >