- 4 cups cubed rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 1 cup chopped red or sweet onion
- 1 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Torn mixed salad greens and sliced almonds
- Whole wheat pita pocket halves and lettuce leaves
- Whole wheat tortillas and sliced ripe avocado
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients; pour over chicken mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Serve as desired.
- Salads: Top salad greens with chicken salad; sprinkle with almonds.
- Pitas: Line pita halves with lettuce leaves; fill with chicken salad.
- Wraps: Place chicken salad off-center on tortillas; top with avocado. Roll up. Yield: 6 cups.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Southwest Chicken Salad
"Definite keeper! I also add a can of drained black beans or black eyed peas to this. When fresh corn comes out in the summer, don't skimp on time, fresh shaved corn in this is awesome!"
"I love this recipe. It makes a large batch and you can add in whatever you want or have on hand. I like to add cherry tomatoes, avocado, black beans and sharp cheddar cheese. It is really good on top of chopped lettuce as a salad, in tortilla wraps or served with Scoops tortilla chips. I usually double the dressing so I have extra if I make a salad out of it."
"I don't like vegetables so I try to 'hide' them in foods I'll eat. I like chicken salad well enough so, in a fit of healthy eating, I decided to make this. It-was-delicious! I added black beans to give it a little more color and a couple of roasted jalapenos (minus the seeds) for spice. Aside from that, the only thing I'd really change is .. I might make a larger batch of the dressing. The amount provided is enough.. i just really REALLY like the dressing so... I want more!"
"I have made this many times since I first found it in the magazine. I love it! I up the spice a bit by using chipotle powder in place of some or all of the regular chili powder (depending on who I am serving it to! :)I think it is even better if made ahead, or as leftovers when the favors have all blended."
"Wonderful flavor. I omitted the cilantro since my family doesn't like the flavor. It made a healthy meal that the family enjoyed."
"This is a delicious recipe! Great flavor! I had chicken breast on hand so I used that, and green pepper instead of red pepper. My family loves this dish!"