Southwest Chicken Kiev Recipe
This updated version of Chicken Kiev, created by Lesley Tragesser, uses taco seasoning and green chilies to give it a tasty Southwestern feel. The Charleston, Missouri reader utilizes the microwave, which keeps the stove clean, and don't worry, the cracker coating still stays crispy.
- 1 cup miniature cheese crackers, crushed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 3 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- In a shallow bowl, combine cracker crumbs and taco seasoning; set aside. In another bowl, combine 3 tablespoons butter, cheese, chilies, onion and salt. Shape mixture into six balls.
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Place a butter ball in the center of each. Roll up and secure with toothpicks. In a shallow microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining butter. Dip chicken in butter, then coat evenly with cracker mixture.
- Place seam side down in a greased shallow round 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 12-14 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 170°. Discard toothpicks. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Southwest Chicken Kiev in Simple & Delicious March/April 2007, p59
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Southwest Chicken Kiev
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mexican Chicken Recipes >