- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 cup canned black beans or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Optional toppings: pico de gallo, shredded Mexican cheese blend and sour cream
- In a large saucepan, combine water, 1 tablespoon oil, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-17 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle taco seasoning over both sides of chicken. In a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165°.
- In a microwave, heat beans until warmed. To serve, gently stir cilantro, lime peel and lime juice into rice; divide among four bowls. Cut chicken into slices. Place chicken and beans over rice; top as desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Southwest Chicken Dinner
"This is a keeper! easy to put together but very light and flavorful, especially with the addition of the toppings. We added sour cream, salsa, Mexican blend cheese, and jalapenos."
"This dish is tasty and quick! I topped mine with sour cream and green onion. I would definitely make this again and experiment with different toppings!"
"Yum! I substituted brown rice, and we used cheddar and sour cream for toppings. Will definitely make again."
"Excellent! i would absolutely make these again - both flavorful and quick. I omitted the lime peel and substituted a chicken rice side for the long grain rice, but otherwise made no changes. I decided to use some leftover pinto beans and added some guacamole and Mexican cheese at the end. My family gobbled it up. Came together in about 30 minutes, no one complained, and everyone ate. Making this one again!"