Southwest Chicken Corn Chowder Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
- 1. In a large nonstick saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- 2. Stir in the broth, soup, chicken and chilies until blended. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; stir in the corn, milk, chili powder and cumin. Heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle each serving with cheese and cilantro. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1 cup soup with 2 teaspoons cheese equals 206 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 669 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.