Southwest Chicken Chili Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add the ham hock, beans, broth, chilies, onion and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until ham is tender.
- 2. Remove ham bone. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bone; discard bone. Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to slow cooker. Serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup (calculated without sour cream) equals 343 calories, 16 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 104 mg cholesterol, 735 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 33 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.