Southwest Chicken Chili Recipe
Chicken thighs are a nice change-of-pace in this easy chili. I also add a smoked ham hock and fresh cilantro to add flavor and keep the dish interesting.—Phyllils Beatty, Chandler, Arizona
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add the ham hock, beans, broth, chilies, onion and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until ham is tender.
- 2. Remove ham bone. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bone; discard bone. Cut meat into bite-size pieces and return to slow cooker. Serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup: 343 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 735mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 5g fiber), 33g protein.
Reviews for Southwest Chicken Chili
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC