- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen mashed winter squash, thawed (about 1-1/3 cups)
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Diced avocado and chopped tomatoes, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and onion; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or just until onion is tender.
- Stir in squash, barley, seasonings and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender.
Add beans, corn, cream, salsa and cilantro; heat through, stirring occasionally. If desired, serve with avocado and tomatoes.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or milk if necessary. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Southwest Chicken Barley Chowder
"I love finding nutritious recipes like this for my family. I made it with whole milk instead of the half-and-half and it was still really tasty. We also really enjoyed the avocado and tomato on top."
"This was very good! I couldn't find frozen mashed winter squash so I made my own a week before and froze it. I also used less cilantro - just personal taste. Loved the avocado and tomato garnished on top too!"
"Very easy and good. Next time will decrease taco seasoning a bit."