Fun and different, this summery salad has a subtle smoky flavor that really says “Southwest.” The grilled corn adds an especially nice touch.
- 2 medium ears sweet corn
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
- Remove and discard corn husks and silk. Brush 1 tablespoon oil over ears of corn. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Cut corn from cobs.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, red pepper, jalapenos, cilantro and corn.
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, garlic, chili powder, salt, pepper and remaining oil; pour over chicken mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Cook rice according to package directions; cool. Just before serving, stir rice and avocados into salad. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Southwest Chicken & Rice Salad in Country June/July 2009, p51
Reviews for Southwest Chicken & Rice Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review