Southwest Burgers Recipe
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 8 slices pepper Jack cheese (1/2 ounce each)
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- Lettuce leaves, tomato slices and red onion rings
- 1. In a large bowl, coarsely mash beans. Stir in the onion, corn, bread crumbs, chilies, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Crumble beef and turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight patties. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Combine mayonnaise and salsa; refrigerate until serving.
- 2. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear.
- 3. Top with cheese; cover and grill 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve on buns with toppings if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 burger (calculated without optional toppings) equals 341 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 698 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.